First Reproduction Quilt

Monday, April 4, 2011

Patriots in Petticoats Quilt Top

Yikes it has been a long time since I was here!  There's been a lot of crummy weather that included power failures I have never had to go through before.  One good thing about it was that I finally sat down to do some hand applique, which I never thought I could do.  But by the light of a kerosene lamp and huddled with DH and dear doggie near the fireplace, I started in.  I'll show you soon - I think it turned out pretty well, and I learned some new technique.

Before all the disruptions I was working away on the Patriots in Petticoats project.  I got all the pieced blocks
 done and made all log cabin setting blocks and the beautiful center medallion.  (see previous posts for pix)
I was so excited to put this quilt top together!  It was surprisingly fast and easy, and it is quite beautiful.  I have it in the shop just like this  for now while I make the 60 something small blocks for the ribbon border.   So here it is:


After I managed to get this much done for a quilt show in March, I went back to work on my very special Log Cabin Home Sampler quilt project.  This is the one that I found in an old Quilter's Newsletter magazine.

The picture is the original version done all in 1980's brown fabrics.  I have added color to my sampler blocks as I write directions for rotary cutting and sewing.  I am intrigued by the traditional and timeless appeal of the sampler blocks combined with the variation on the log cabins for setting blocks.  The designer is Ruth Meyer, who I was able to talk with to obtain permission from her to update the pattern directions and offer this as a revised pattern at the shop.   So here are the newly finished sampler blocks:






There will be twelve different traditional blocks, most of them pretty popular around the 1930's.  My log cabins are different shades of prussian and indigo blues, which are pretty eye-catching. 

It's been such a long time since I posted!  I have several projects going that will be shown here in the next few weeks as I get nice pictures done & organize my thoughts.  I've also been helping my DH with his new blog
 but he is quite adept now so he won't need me as much.  Till the next time, hopefully soon!  Piece,
Lindy


























  

1 comment:

  1. Looking for border fabric from Patriots in Perricoats Quilt
    Any one know who has this, then I can finish my quilt. .

    ReplyDelete