First Reproduction Quilt

Thursday, January 27, 2011

Patriots in Petticoats, more blocks

After setting a goal to complete the quilt top by March 1, it seemed worthwhile to check how many days it was likely to take.  Then there is the reality of just how much sewing I can get done in each day.  Sometimes the shop has enough quiet time in the day that I can work on it, but I'm finding that mornings are best, at home.  Then there is the difficulty level of each block to consider.  Some of them were done in about 2 hours.  As I looked at the upcoming patterns I found that number 10 was going to be tricky.

PIP block 8 hanging in the shop
I settled down to do number 8 with hopes that it would just breeze along.  Everything went along fine, but it finished a little too big. Will I ever learn to check those quarter inch seam allowances as I go along?   I've moved on to the next one anyway.  I can re-visit number 8 when I've got past 10.

Block 9 was fun with the little pink stripe patches.  I started to plan out getting all the patches going in the same direction, but then decided to try something a little different.  I think it worked out just fine.  By now I'm very comfortable with the half-square-triangle patches so that I can cut them the given size.  I used to have to cut them a little larger, stitch, press open & square up to the right size.  Not doing that with these!!


PIP block 9 fun with stripes
As I work on this project I'm kind of surprised at the color play with the piecework.  Isn't it always amazing how colors affect the way patches and blocks look.  These blocks are somehow similar and different all at the same time.




The completed block happily met the measurement requirement.  So it was on to the next one.
 Block Ten - looking complicated with all the pieces.  It didn't seem to be particularly difficult, but there were so many pieces and seams.  Attention to seam allowances was going to be more important than ever.



I should  have stopped and measured a lot more often.  Overall I think it came out well, just a quarter of an inch too big.  So I'm pretty sure I was afraid of it being too small and used a scant quarter inch.  There was a directional thing going on with the pink stripes again, so I had fun with that when I was laying it out.
PIP block 10 laid out, checking stripes
PIP Block 10, finished Tuesday


Then  I did  Block 11, went together really well, it just looks tweaked in this photo.  I like the background fabric much more than I thought I would.  The shirtings are a nice touch.

PIP Block 11,  more pink stripes



 

 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment